Hammocks are convenient for campers and hikers because they are light in weight, have a smaller footprint than tents, and are easier to set up. Including a rain fly for your hammock to your camping gear grants you not only more privacy, but also protective coverage against natural elements, such as rain, snow, sun, and wind, for comfortable outdoor sleep.
In our quest to select the best hammock rain fly, we reviewed some essential features you need to evaluate to ensure you get maximum value out of your purchase. Among the factors we evaluated are design, weight and dimensions, material, additional accessories, and other features. The size and weight of the hammock rain fly determine its portability, storage and the amount of coverage it will provide while its construction material will influence its performance and durability.
Top 5 Hammock Rain Flies Review 2019
Our extensive research based on feedback from verified buyers, experts and authoritative sites resulted in this resourceful review which compiles the best hammock rain fly models, along with a detailed analysis of their features, pros and cons. In addition to the comparison table below which ranks the top models, we have incorporated an all-encompassing buying guide to provide you with a valuable reference on the most important features of a hammock rain fly and equip you with the tips and tricks you need to set it up and maintain it. This is followed by an FAQ segment and a summary of our top three picks.
|Name and Features||Image||Rating||Price|
| 1. Chill Gorilla 10x10 Hammock Waterproof Rain Fly Tent Tarp (Editor's Choice)|
Featuring waterproof 210D ripstop nylon fabric this rain fly is ideal for most hammocks providing you with a secure and sturdy weather protection
| 2. RainFlyEvolution Bug Net or Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP (Best Rain Fly for Large Hammock)|
This rain fly is a perfect companion in any trip while the included 5-1 survival paracord bracelet will help you out in the most difficult situation
| 3. Foxelli Rain Tarp (Budget Pick)|
Despite being so affordable, this option doesn’t cut corners on quality and will protect you from rain, snow, UV rays, and wind
| 4. Roman Ventures Rain Fly For Hammock (Best Rain Fly for Eno Hammock)|
This large rain fly with a curved design on the bottom and all the required accessories included is an essential part of your camping equipment
| 5. Legit Camping Rain Fly Camping Tarp (Best Hammock Rain Fly for Thru Hiking)|
Its polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon fabric with 170-inch centerline will keep you dry and safe in any weather
- Material: waterproof 210D ripstop nylon fabric
- Dimensions: 10’ x 10’
- Weight: 1.4 lbs.
- Accessories: 6 x guy lines; 4 x aluminum tent stakes; small and big stuff sacks
More features: reinforced corners; multiple tie down points
OVERALL RATING: 9.9 out of 10
In addition to its versatility and durability, the Chill Gorilla Hammock Waterproof Rain Fly comes with everything you need for your hammock shelter to ensure maximum protection from the natural elements. This includes stakes, centerlines, tensioners, reinforced corners, and ropes.
It weighs 1.4 pounds and features a square design with two centerlines for additional stability and six guy points for secure anchoring. The multiple tie-down points allow you to assemble the rain fly in several different ways on varied terrain.
The 170-inch long diagonal ridgeline which is supported by tie points on all the four corners and at the middle provides expansive coverage for hammocks.
Camping shelters require a sturdy material that can withstand the harsh outdoor conditions. This rain fly delivers that with a fabric made of polyurethane-treated 210D ripstop nylon which is lightweight, 100% waterproof with a high 2,000 PU rating, and resistant to tears and puncture.
Owners of this rain fly love its extensive coverage which protects the objects underneath it from getting drenched by downfall, and the inclusion of everything required in the package, which eliminates the need for additional expenses.
Due to the polyurethane coating, some buyers have reported an initial chemical smell which dissipates shortly afterward.
- Spacious coverage
- Light and portable
- Durable fabric
- 100% waterproof
- Sturdy aluminum stakes
- Multiple tie-down points
- Versatile configuration and usage
- Complete package
- Initial chemical smell
- Material: waterproof ripstop PU
- Dimensions: 12’ x 10’
- Weight: 1.5 lbs.
- Accessories: 4 x nylon guy lines, 6 x carabiners; 7 x ropes; sack for ropes and poles; gear carrying pouch; 5-1 survival paracord bracelet
More features: double layer corner tech; heavy duty gromet
OVERALL RATING: 9.7 out of 10
This is the best rain fly for eno doublenest hammock as well as one of the best-rated hammock rain flies by top retailers, such as Amazon. It comes fully equipped with the set-up kit, survival kit, spare parts and accessories consisting of six heavy duty stakes, four nylon guy lines, seven adjustable ropes, six carabiners, a sack, and a pouch, among others.
One of its most outstanding features is the 5-in-1 survival kit which will take your outdoor adventure to the next level and provide you with protection and provision. It includes a compass, whistle, flint firestarter, knife tool, and a 10.5-foot long military grade paracord rope. With this kit, you can light a fire even in rainy conditions to keep you warm or cook your own hunted meal, keep dangerous animals away so that you don’t become the meal, and explore the surroundings without getting lost in the woods.
The fabric is made of durable and waterproof 210T diamond ripstop nylon with high-quality PU which blocks harmful UV rays and keeps you dry while the corners are reinforced with double layer technology and heavy-duty grommet.
The main complaints seem to be about weak ropes and small buckles. Otherwise, most buyers recommend this rain fly because of its extensive coverage, survival kit, and the inclusion of all the required accessories. They also liked its ability to keep bugs at bay.
- Extensive double hammock coverage
- Durable UV-blocking fabric
- Double layer corner technology
- 5-in-1 survival kit
- Complete package
- Plenty of accessories
- Storage pouch and sack
- Ropes could be stronger
- Small buckles
- Material: waterproof ripstop 210D polyester PU3000
- Dimensions: 9.2’ x 11.8’
- Weight: 1.14 lbs.
- Accessories: 4 x nylon guy lines; 2 x aluminum tent stakes; carrying bag
More features: laminated centerline stitch; durable corner loop
OVERALL RATING: 9.5 out of 10
This is the best budget hammock rain fly for camping, hiking and other outdoor activities. It is affordable, lightweight and effective in blocking rain and UV rays. It also comes as a complete package with a full kit for setting it up. Other accessories include corner loops, guy lines, tensioners, stakes, and a storage bag.
The ultra-light weight of 1.14 pounds makes it the best lightweight hammock rain fly, and its compact size can easily fit in a backpack.
Despite its low pricing, this rain fly is made of durable material with waterproof ripstop 210D polyester PU3000 fabric which has been secured with double-stitches, heavy duty tensioners to quickly adjust tautness, sturdy metal grommets for the reinforced corners, and two 2” x 7” aluminum alloy stakes.
The four tracer nylon guy lines are extra-long at 12-feet, while the centerline of the same size provides maximum coverage. The laminated stitching on the centerline and the reflective strand woven on the guy lines are very convenient at night, or in a dimly-lit environment.
This model is particularly popular with beach campers who have praised its compact sizing, long sturdy guy lines, strong seams and the reflective features on the centerline and guy lines. You could also be among the lucky buyers who have received an LED pocket flashlight or a survival bracelet as gifts that were included in the package. However, a couple of owners found the coverage of this rain fly a bit small.
- Durable construction
- Waterproof and UV-resistant
- Complete package with full assembly kit
- Laminated and reflective properties
- Low pricing
- Coverage may appear small for some buyers
- Material: waterproof ripstop nylon 2000 PU
- Dimensions: 13’ x 10’
- Weight: 1.45 lbs.
- Accessories: 6 x 3-meter reflective guy lines; 2 x 6-meter guy lines; 1 x 30-meter ridge line; 10 x tensioners; 6 x aluminum stakes; stake pouch; travel sack
More features: curved design on the bottom; rectangular design
OVERALL RATING: 9.2 out of 10
The weight, dimensions, and coverage of this rain fly are impressive: 1.45 pounds, 13-feet long, 10-feet wide, and up to 130 square feet of coverage. You are assured of getting the best value out of this model if you are shopping for a large hammock tarp or rain fly.
It is made of durable diamond ripstop nylon fabric with 2000 PU coating which is waterproof and resistant to UV rays. The fabric utilizes a unique cross-weaving technique which reinforces the material to prevent tears while the curved bottom and the rectangular design enhance coverage.
A host of accessories are included in the package. Among them are eight reflective guy lines for improved visibility in dim and dark surroundings, ten tensioners, six tri-beam stakes made of aluminum, a 30-meter long ridge line which covers most hammocks, a storage pouch, and a travel sack.
Majority of buyers were impressed by the spacious coverage, reinforced stitching and the protective elements of this rain fly as well as the responsiveness and customer care of the seller. However, some customers reported that their rain flies weren’t as long as advertised, so double check the dimensions with the seller before purchasing.
- Expansive coverage
- Long centerline
- Multiple accessories
- Waterproof and UV-resistant
- Durable material
- Reflective properties
- Storage pouch and sack
- Issues with the size correspondence
- Material: polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon
- Dimensions: 10’ x 10’
- Weight: 1.6 lbs.
- Accessories: 6 x guy lines; 4 x aluminum stakes; travel sack
More features: 170-inch centerline; 9 guy points
OVERALL RATING: 8.8 out of 10
This rain fly for hammocks comes with nine guy points which allows it to be configured to multiple designs, such as square or diamond, to suit the hammock or terrain. It also comes with six adjustable guy lines, four aluminum stakes, a storage case for the stakes and guy lines, and a travel sack for portability.
Despite the spacious coverage, you can take it anywhere with you due to its compact size when folded and the minimal weight of 1.6 pounds.
The fabric is made of polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon material which is both waterproof and resistant to UV rays, and the 170-inch centerline provides plenty of coverage for hammocks.
This model may be easily regarded as the best rain fly for kammok roo hammocks as it can provide sufficient coverage even for double hammocks, as long as you position them closely together or hang one above the other.
Based on reviews from verified buyers, this is a legit rain fly with sturdy construction, multiple functions, dependable protection from natural elements, and a myriad of adjustable configurations.
The reported drawbacks are the absence of instructions which you have to look up online and the non-reflective guy lines which may be harder to assemble at night.
- Sturdy construction
- Multiple guy points
- Versatile design
- Waterproof and UV-resistant
- Instructions not included
- Non-reflective guy lines
Tips on how to set up a hammock rain fly
- When attaching the ridgeline, ensure it is high enough for proper ventilation and low enough to extend past the hammock and cover it sufficiently.
- Note the direction of the wind so you can set the long side into it and keep the sides low.
- Pitch the rain fly taut with stakes and guy lines to prevent accumulation of water and buffer it against the wind.
- Setting up the rain fly over water sources and deep ridges or on mountain peaks is alluring because it appeals to our sense of adventure. However, it could quickly turn fatal in case of an accidental fall. Ideally, the hammock should be positioned a few feet above the ground.
- Confirm that the area below you has proper drainage that will not form a puddle around you and check for sharp objects on the ground underneath you.
Features to consider while choosing a hammock rain fly
The following are the features that will help you select the best hammock rain fly for your needs and personal preferences. We have included examples of models that will give you a better understanding of these features.
A rain fly should be made of durable material that can withstand the natural elements as well as prevent tears and punctures that can cause leakage. It should also be light in weight for convenient portability, assembly, and storage.
Nylon and polyester are the main types of material used to make a hammock rain fly due to their light weight, durability, and affordability. They are coated with either silicone or polyurethane to make them waterproof. Polyurethane coatings block harmful UV rays as well. To make the nylon or polyester stronger, the fabric may also be reinforced with fibers woven in a rip-stop pattern. The pattern also stops expansion and fraying of existing tears.
Nylon has a tendency to stretch when it is wet so you may have to keep adjusting the guy lines to keep the rain fly taut. You will also find PU-coated nylon more affordable than silicone-coated nylon.
Other materials used to make a hammock rain fly are polyethylene which is durable and inexpensive but heavy and noisy, and Cuben fiber which is the lightest material but the least common due to its high pricing. Cuben fiber is completely waterproof.
Weight and dimensions
With coverage being the main priority, it is important to evaluate and compare the dimensions of both the hammock and the rain fly to get the right size that will ensure maximum protection. It is recommended to go a size up on the rain fly so it can be larger than the hammock. For double hammocks, choose models such as RainFlyEvolution Bug Net or Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP and Roman Ventures Rain Fly for Hammock which are specifically designed to cover two hammocks.
Rain fly models come in various styles and shapes which vary in coverage, configuration and number of anchor points. Common shapes include rectangle, diamond, hexagonal and catenary.
Rectangular shapes are bulky but better for extra coverage while diamond shapes are lighter and easier to assemble but provide the least coverage. Hexagonal designs have a wider surface area but they are pricier as well. Your choice will ultimately depend on the intended usage and your individual preference.
- Stakes: Although most models include them in the package, some may require a separate purchase. Aluminum is mostly used in stake construction because it is sturdy and light in weight.
- Guy lines and ridge lines: Guy lines secure the rain fly to the hammock while ridge lines support and shape the rain fly.
- Tensioners: They come with fasteners which allow quick adjustment of tautness for quick
- Survival kit: This equips you with additional resources that improve your outdoor experience. For instance, Rain Fly Evolution Bug Net or Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP comes with a 5-in-1 kit with a compass, whistle, flint firestarter, knife tool, and a 10.5-foot long paracord rope.
- Storage compartment: This could be a pouch, case, or a sack that keeps your rain fly safe from dust and moisture when in storage and makes it easier to transport it.
- Bug net: Models like the RainFlyEvolution Bug Net or Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP include a bug net for additional protection.
An extended warranty can give you an insight into the quality of your intended rain fly and the lifespan you can expect from it. Some sellers will also offer money back guarantee for up to 90 days so you can test the model.
- Stitches: Ensure that the seams are double-stitched and sealed or taped to prevent tears and leakage.
- Reinforced corners: Corners bear most of the brunt resulting from anchoring pressure so your intended rain fly should be fortified with triple stitching and a double material for an additional layer of protection against ripping and punctures.
- Reflectors: They improve visibility in dark or dimly-lit environment for assembly or to prevent tripping over the ropes. Foxelli Rain Tarp and Roman Ventures Rain Fly for Hammock are examples of models with reflective properties.
- Multiple guy points: They give you more options to configure your rain fly in different ways to suit your taste and needs. Legit Camping Rain Fly Camping Tarp has nine guy points which provide several options to assemble the rain fly to match the hammock and the environment.
- Grommets: They are convenient because they allow you to hang the guy lines and minimize the complicated knots. Ensure they are reinforced with triple stitches to prevent tears and rips.
- Color: If you are camping in the wild or woods where there might be wildlife, neutral tones are preferable for camouflage in order to On the other hand, bright colors will help you stand out on the beach or in snowy surroundings which is convenient in case you ever need to be rescued.
Roman Ventures Rain Fly for Hammock and RainFlyEvolution Bug Net and Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP measuring 13’ x 10’ and 12’ x 10’respectively are large enough to provide ample coverage for two hammocks at the same time.
To improve the stability of the rain fly, increase the tension to make it taut and stronger against the wind, add more guy lines, or fortify the stakes with rocks and sandbags for firm anchoring on the ground. You can also use a rope to attach a ridgeline to the suspension if your hammock does not come with an integrated ridgeline.
In addition to sheltering you and your camping gear from natural elements, twigs, and leaves, a rain fly also provides you with privacy during your outdoor adventures to keep prying eyes away.
Chill Gorilla 10×10 Hammock Waterproof Rain Fly Tent Tarp was our choice for the best rain fly for hammocks and tents due to its versatility, reasonable pricing, light weight, sturdy construction, and multiple tie-down points which give you a wide array of alternative configurations.
Rain Fly Evolution Bug Net or Hammock RAIN Fly Tent TARP comes as a complete package with tons of accessories as well as a resourceful 5-in-1 kit which equips you with survival tools for the outdoor environment. It provides expansive coverage for two hammocks and effective protection against rain, wind and UV rays. Stability is enhanced by the durable fabric, corners that have been reinforced with double layer technology and heavy-duty grommet.
Our budget choice, Foxelli Rain Tarp, ranked among our top three favorites of the best hammock rain fly models because it does not skimp on quality. Its popularity with buyers is attributed to its effectiveness and other convenient features, such as laminated stitching, LED flashlight, and extra-long guy lines and centerline. It is also the lightest model on our list.